Marriage License Info


Important Documents

Requirements for a marriage license to be issued in Butler County.

  1. The fee for a Marriage License is $25.00
  2. Both applicants must be at least 17 years of age. In the State of Nebraska you can not marry if you are under 17.
  3. Parental or Guardian consent is required for applicants who are under age 19. The consent forms are available at the County Clerk's office. ( The Parent or Guardian also has to show valid identification.)
  4. Both applicants must present a valid Photo ID (such as a valid State issued Drivers License, ID Card, or valid Passport. We will accept any one of these).
  5. Both applicants must provide a Certified Birth Certificate. If the Birth Certificate is a foreign Birth Certificate it needs to be translated and notarized. ( We will need both the original and the translated copy.)
  6. Social Security numbers for both applicants. (Must bring the original cards with them) If no Social Security # you will need to sign an affidavit stating so.
  7. If either applicant has a previous marriage, you will need to know the date the marriage ended. (Date of divorce decree or date of death)
  8. There are no blood tests required in the State of Nebraska.
  9. Marriage licenses are good for one (1) year from the date of issuance.
  10. The applicants may apply for their marriage license in any county in Nebraska and use it to be married in any county in Nebraska.
  11. There is no waiting period.
  12. To be married by the County Court Magistrate, you may call the County Court (402-367-7480) to schedule an appointment.

The County Clerk's Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except on legal holidays. It does take 15-20 minutes to prepare the license. Please allow yourself ample time for the license to be prepared.

To receive a certified marriage license for a marriage license issued in Butler County, send a $9.00 check or money order and the following information:

  • Name of groom / Party A
  • Name of bride / Party B
  • Month/Year of marriage

(You must have received your marriage license in Butler County for us to send you a certified copy).

Mail to:

Butler County Clerk
451 N 5th St
David City, NE 68632